top of page
Three Mile School served as the center of educational and social life for Freed and the surrounding countryside of Calhoun County, West Virginia, from the 1850s to the 1950s. This site focuses on Three Mile School in the 1930s. Many of its pupils from that decade were scattered by the Depression and World War II. That generation made its mark on the wider world with tools it picked up as boys and girls in a white frame building set in the mouth of School House Hollow along Three Mile Run.
Civilian Conservation Corps workers rebuilt the Three Mile School building in the summer of 1935. They turned the building ninety degrees, installed smaller windows, and partitioned part of the interior to create a cloakroom and a school library, a rare feature in country schools.
Miss Louie Dawson began teaching at Three Mile School in the fall of 1934. She taught her younger sisters and the children who lived along the creeks and up the hollows she had known all her life. The pictures and text that accompany this page give glimpses into a community of people whose lives connected in many ways. Miss Dawson became Mrs. Snider in 1936 when she married Bernard Snider of Freed. By 1937 the county school board had moved her to another area school. Her memories and snapshots give shape to this site.
Other Web Sites about West Virginia One-Room Schools.
Mission Ridge One Room School
Marshall University One-Room Schoolhouse Museum; virtual tour
Cullers Run School
One-Room Lett School
Return to top of page.